Sunday 5 July 2009

No wonder we have a problem!

The last week, many of the articles I have read have been about celebrity weight issues, how those on the larger side of life are setting a bad example to us mere mortals, a contrast to last years blasting of the size zero model and how their size was something we shouldn't aspire to.

The best one, was an article in todays News of the World about Kerry Katona and how the "porky" star had "swelled from a svelte size 8 to a 12-stone size 16." The article goes on to say how Kerry has "ballooned back to her old size."

My main problem with this story is how she is described as porky and ballooning. I am a size 14- 16 but would never consider myself to be porky, I am just not naturally slim, but I don't feel that this makes me hideous or unattractive in anyway. What is wrong with not being a "perfect 10"?

Last year, I was ill and I lost a lot of weight becasue of it, however, this made me look like a skeleton and not at all happy, I don't suit being that thin. Also, websites that tell you your BMI (the latest obsession in weightloss) and tell you your perfect weight vary excessively, with one telling me that in order to achieve a healthy BMI, I needed to lose 3 stone, while another resulted in me only needing to lose half a stone!

I thought the best thing about humans was that we are all different, that if everybody was the same, it would be boring?

So what if some of us have a little bit "extra" weight, it just means there's more of us to love! Being super skinny doesn't mean you're healthy, the same as being a bit bigger doesn't mean you're unfit.

The media needs to stop focussing on our weight and maybe then we would all be a little happier...?

"What makes you different, makes you beautiful!" :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment